Thursday, July 5, 2012

10 Things to Do when Life is Overwhelming


     Sometimes life can be overwhelming.  Sometimes we have to put all of our burdens down and trust that God will bring us through a particularly difficult season. There's no reasoning, bargaining,or manipulating our way out.  It is what it is, and we must go through it.  It may feel like we're being assaulted from all directions, and we may not want to answer the phone or read the next text for fear that we'll receive yet more bad news.  So what should we do?



     1) Wave a white flag to the heavens, surrender, and shout, "Help Me God:)". 

     2) Be confident that God is with us in our weakest moment. 

                     And He said to me, My grace is sufficient for you, 
                     for My Strength is made perfect in weakness. 
                    2 Corinthian 12:9:

     3) Release all emotions and reactions to the things happening
     around us.  Trust that God is in control, and He is doing a perfect work in
     the difficult circumstances

                      And we know that in all things God works for the good of those 
                      who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. 
                      Romans 8:28

     4)  Love everyone and everything as best you can: 

                     So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; 
                     but the greatest of these is love.
                     1 Corinthians 12:13

     5)  If we have no love to give, take a time out, lock up in a room, if
           need be, go for a stroll, or to a local Starbucks for our favorite drink.
          Try not to unleash angry or fearful emotions on others.

     6).  Hold On.  This challenging season will pass.
 
                     There is an appointed time for everything. And there is a time for
                     every event under heaven
                     Ecclesiastes 3:1
      
     7)   Listen to the best gospel music you can find.  Let the Church Say Amen by Andre
     Crouch and Marvin Winan has been soothing me recently. Here's the link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Was9guQJ-0g

     8)   No matter how hard it is, find something to be grateful and thankful for. 
            Be content in whatever circumstances you find yourself. 
          
                      ...I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.
                      Philippians 4;11, NIV

     9)   Use the time to soften your heart, release some negative stuff, forgive some folks.  
           Positive change and miracles, I believe, happen in peaceful spaces.

                    Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, “Lord, how many times shall I
                    forgive my brother or sister who sins against me? Up to seven times?” 
                   Jesus answered, “I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.
                    Mathew 18:21-23 (NIV)

     10)  Talk and laugh with someone; love on a pet, animal, or baby and; enjoy nature,
             even if it's something as simple as watering the grass or flowers, because help is
            on the way!
            
                       I am the Lord your God. I am holding your hand, so don't be afraid.
                       I am here to help you.
                       Isaiah 41:13

     I write this for you, but it is ministering to me because this is where I, surprisingly, find myself.  I'd hope to be writing something catchy, short, fun, and happy.  But on Sunday we learned that my hubby's 39 year old niece made her transition after battling breast cancer, news that came on the heels of losing a college buddy at the end of May. 

    Before getting the call about Tasha, I had been in my own private struggle with my oldest son, who is Autistic, very bright and high-functioning, and has been refusing to take the medication that keeps him calm and agreeable on his unique journey of life.  He's the son that I refer to as my angel because of his sensitivity and sweetness, despite his challenges.  Yet, in the last two months, there have been few traces of the sweet, loving young man who led me to write my first story and book to make sense of the contradictory and incongruent nature of life.  He's improving, but he and I have been in the most intense, protracted difficult season that I ever recall us having, other than the time he got turned around on an outing and was missing for three (3) days.  But that frightening nightmare ended in 72 hours.  It's been nearly two months with me having to stay by his side, pretty much. It's been exhausting and not very fun!

      You can help me, him and others with disabilities by going to www.wearegreattoo.blogspot.com, a blog for young adults with disabilities that I started a while ago.  Please watch the quick video of my son there, and click on the U.S. Government's Disability link, which has wonderful information about ways in which we all can make life easier for people with disabilities.

      And, let's see, what else:  Too much to write here, but my middle son had a little accident; thankfully, no one was hurt, but it still jeered Mommy's nerves.  There was a call from my hubby saying that he was stranded on the freeway after having a flat tire.  No problem, really, I went to his rescue with the Triple A card that he had forgotten.  While waiting for the tow truck, I had to use the bathroom, and the nearest place was Forest Lawn Cemetery, the place where our beloved Michael Jackson is buried.  So I smiled at the guard at the gate, skipped in, and joyfully greeted all the people working inside, while thanking God out loud in the bathroom a few seconds later that I was alive and kicking on my trip there.  Haha, finally a chuckle for this piece. 

        Two weeks later there was an expensive car break-down that was not in the budget.  There were two other phone calls with news of death: An old high school friend that I hadn't seen since high school, and the mother-in-law of a close friend.  Both calls gave me reason to pause and feel sadness. 

       Add all of the above to the everyday responsibilities of being an adult, wife, a woman transitioning, professionally, (a Renaissance woman who is, literally, carving my way in stone as a writer, blogger, voice of inspiration, and playwright), a mother of three sons and two dogs, and overwhelming feelings can surface.
 
       But by going through the list above, I write this today with a peaceful smile on my face.  I know that in spite of appearances, all is well with my life.  I am so grateful.   I am trusting God!  May God's grace and peace be with you, always.

   Meme Kelly

PS:  You can also help me by subscribing to the blog or leaving a comment. I only do this because it's a call God has placed on my life.  Look at the two homemade videos -- they'll get better in time:) -- I made explaining this by going here:   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gCwWbBDtyo&feature=plcp

&

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oReZQlvNeEY&feature=plcp

Finally, please excuse any mistakes in this post. Every writer should have a fairy god mother who is a professional editor and quickly and cheaply goes over every word written.  God has not assigned mine just yet so please excuse any mistakes.  I am out of physical time and emotional energy and can not review this anymore.   Peace.  Thank you for reading this post.




   
         

2 comments:

  1. Thank the LORD for His MERCY I sure deserved to get some WORD nourishment when you feel..oh those dear feelings--when you feel overwhelmed. I'm deep on the other side of 50 and I when I start feeling blue, low, tired, and isolating there's a voice screaming in me that says, "I don't have the luxury of wasting precious time. My actions are based on what I believe, not what I say...so what AM I believing...life IS BEYOND my cubicle, bank account and those precious few days I call a weekend! LORD help me! I surrender. With a grateful heart let me be still and KNOW YOU are GOD!
    BLESSINGS Meme...Love you...Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim, Kim, Kim! You got it, "... don't have the luxury of wasting precious time..."

    Tried to re-post the rest of your comment. Read it over and over again, y'all. Ms. Kim knows what she's talking about. This is it! Life: It is What It is:).

    Here's a little jazz to keep us dancing as we traverse the bumps and curves of life:) It Is What It Is by Vincent Ingala:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niot_cobgVk

    Enjoy. Love you, Kim.

    Meme

    ReplyDelete